Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bobbin lace, schneeberger

Last week I spent 2 days at a lace making workshop. The teacher was Lia ??? from Holland. She was here to teach classes for the National Lacers Convention in LA. She knows how to make 20-30 different types of lace. She is amazing.
8-12 ladies all met at Betty Jo's home in Redlands and had Lia teach us how to make schlneberger lace. We started in the morning at 9:00 am and kept going until 5:00 pm in the afternoon. I am sure some even worked on their own in the evening.
Most of these ladies in attendances are the best lace makers in Southern Calif and I got to know them. What a treat.
I bought one of her books of schneberger lace patterns. Guess what I am going to be doing for the next 6 months. I learned lots of new skills at the workshop. I can't wait to make the butterfly lace.
Doesn't this look like fun sitting around talking and making lace?? If I talk while I am making lace I make mistakes, so I just listened.

This is the piece Shirley is making. She is the best lace makers that I know. My goal is to be as good as she is. Her work is beautiful.


This is the piece I am making. I will post it when I get it finished.




2 comments:

Jenny said...

Looking very good. Am interested to see it off the pricking. Some of those bobbins look yummy!

Brenda said...

Wow, that is fabulous!!! It is so fun to do what you love with other people who do it too - that's how I feel about quilting. What an amazing talent!