Monday, December 15, 2008

CHRISTMAS TAMALES

Last week I missed doing my blog. I do have a good excuse. We were making tamales for the ward Christmas party. Just 300 for the party and 80 for us.

Step one: Cook the pork roasts in the crock pot. It took me 4 days to get 30 pounds of meat cooked and shredded and season with California red Chili powder.

Step two: is very time consuming. Spread out the maza ( a corn meal dough) on a corn husk. Some meat in the middle with a olive. Wrap it with the rest of the corn husk, leaving the top open. This is easy just takes a lot of time.

The hardest part of step two is getting the maza. To get a real good ready made maza you need to go to a real Mexican deli and where very little english is spoken. So I send Melissa or take Willow with me. We bought 54 pounds maza. The activity comittee comes over to help wrap tamales.

Wraped and ready to steam.


Step three: steaming the tamales. It takes about 45 minutes for this pan with about 75 tamales in it.



Dennis tried one out . Yeah, it was good. I didn't make them very hot because lots of kids will be eating them at the ward party. We will put sauce on the tables so those who want them warmer can add sauce.

This week we are making refried beans. Tomorrow we will start soaking them.




7 comments:

Melenie said...

Wow, that's a lot of tamales! What a fun idea for a ward Christmas party.

Your shell collection is beautiful.

Brenda said...

Margene, that is great! We are going to attempt to make Tamales this year for FHE on Monday and eat them on Christmas Eve. How exactly do you steam them? Just put a little water in the bottom of the big pot and cook them? Do you have to put a rack or something in the bottom to keep them out of the water? brendasommers@iveracity.com

Julie said...

Wow, what a huge undertaking! Sounds like way too much work. They sure look good.

The Snow Queen said...

My mom is so sweet. She failed to mention that I volunteered her... and then conveniently I was only there about half the time to help. YOu did a great job mom and I'm glad that it all turned out nice.

Dannette & Mark said...

Oh yummy! I want some! I have made them one time only...so much work but to yummy

Cherie said...

You are amazing, making all those tamales. I have only made tamales 1 time and it is A LOT of work. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. We had a great time. We will have to get together soon.

Christina said...

They were fantastic!