Monday, July 26, 2010

Saga of plum jam.

Melissa brought me over two big bowls of plums, she had been given a bucket full. She was just sharing.
So I set out to make plum jam. How could we eat that many and I can't stand to see waste. I only used about half of them. I cook and strained them, so there was no seeds or skins.
Off to the store and bought some Sure Jell and followed that recipe.
6 cups of plum juice/pulp and 8 cups of sugar for one batch.
No wonder it is good.

Boiling



Filling the jars.

Viola plum jam.
I only made two batches and we have a two year supply for both the Snow's and us. I used the rest of the juice/pulp and made a syrup/sauce which is really good. Dennis ate lots of it on his pancakes the next morning. Then more on toast for lunch. So it must of been good.
And I still have plums left over to eat.
It tastes just as good as my sisters. SUPER





3 comments:

Brenda said...

Love your pictures! Wow, that is a lot of sugar. Yummy! We had a bunch of plums once, and we made a pie, it was NOT good.

The Snow Queen said...

oHHH i knew giving them to you was the best thing to do. We still have plums over here.

Julie said...

Melissa is one smart cookie. Give the plums to your mom, then she'll make a ton of jelly and give it back to you. All that delicious jelly without the work. I'll have to try that with my mom and see if it works!