Thursday, December 24, 2009

saga of ZHU-ZHU pets

If you are like I was, you have no idea what a zhu-zhu pet is. This is one. they are small, 3-5 inches long. They come in different colors. They chatter, scatter, scoot, n'scurry like a real hamster. Also they are the hot item this year. Real cute with their own personality. Just like a live hamster only it doesn't eat or poop. It couldn't be better. this is how this story begins.
Last Wednesday I call Melissa to get an idea on what to get Poppy and Phoenix for Christmas. Much was discussed and we came up with the idea to get Poppy some accessories for her zhu-zhu pet she would be getting. All four of them are getting a zhu-zhu pet for Christmas. No problem. We live close to toys R4 Us, and target.
Thursday morning I take off to find some accessories. Toys r4 us have pets but no accessories, Target and Walmart have neither. I now know what they are and what I am looking for. ( car, ball, slide, fun house or boat will do) A truck is coming into toys r4 us, Friday night so come back at 6 when they open Saturday. I arrive back at toys r4 us at 6;15 Saturday and find out when the truck came in Friday they sold all of them in 30 minutes. I am now on a mission to find an accessory. I check the Internet. Walmart will have them and start selling the 7:00 Monday morning. Monday morning, I check toys r4 us on my way to walmat, they have only pets. I get to Walmart and about 10Th in line. I wait my turn and get the second to last accessory not the one I wanted but it will do. I got the fun house. We are told they will do the same thing both Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Poor Jake won't be getting his morning walk either day. I leave at 6:20 Tues and this time I am 16Th in line all the accessories are gone before I get my turn. Wed morning comes and I am down there at 6:10 and 4 in line. I know I will get to pick one this morning not just take what is left. We wait. (What is wrong with all these crazy old grandma waiting in line for a stupid toy for a grandchild. Most of us were grandmas.) At 6:55 they come out and say there are no accessories just pets. So we all leave and no line is left.
The next step for me is to make some things for the kids anyway. I pull out all the scraps I have. Magical all these ideas start to pop into my head and I start creating. A ruff with some trim sewn on some elastic and we have a dress. Aleca do you recognize the pink stuff it was in my suit case when I got home it is now a hamster dress. Red material with a marker and you have a Super Hamster cape. Each pet will get his own sleeping bag out of scraps of fleece and etc. and best yet I didn't need to spend any money on them..





What fun creating little clothes for a hamster. My head is just popping with ideas. I just need time to create them. Aleca you should be here helping me make hamster clothes. Is this not silly making clothes for a mechanical hamster.
I will get them some accessories in the spring when the accessories make it to the store sheves.

4 comments:

Taylor Swim said...

That is serious commitment Margene. What an awesome grandma you are! I love the accessories you came up with. You are great at coming up with stuff. The kids will have something that none of their friends will have. They will be a hit! Way to go!

Cherie said...

Those are such cute accessories. I bet you could sell those on ebay. Well I got some zhu zhu pets in Utah for my grandkids. Luckily I wasn't looking for any accessories right now. You're a good Grandma.,

Susan said...

You are amazing Margene, and so clever. No way I would be standing in lines that time of morning to buy "accessories." The homemade goodies are darling!

Julie said...

My word! You're so dedicated! They turned out so cute--good job.